Sunday, October 25, 2009

{ My Mantlepiece }





I thought it about time I finally posted some photos of our fabulous mantle that we have in the cottage. It is a beautiful big slab of timber, with notches and markings on it from years of wear. A lot of people swoon over mantlepieces and how they could decorate them, but I have found ours quite tricky. For one it is very long - 263cm to be exact. On one end it has to house our UHF radio and Mr M's other communication devices {he is in the CFA }. This used to irritate me to no end but after the February fires I have definitely realised that communication is so vital in emergencies, when Mr M has been out fighting fires I have been able to listen to him on the UHF, not to mention when the mobile towers burnt out and we had no power so no phone. {I don't have mobile reception at Ythanbrae anyway}.

So, the UHF and what-not stays mounted to one end of the mantle {I have cut out of photos - too ugly}. We had the iconic Craig's Hut image which I gave to Mr M for his 18th birthday. It does seem like an 'above-the-mantle' piece but I hate the frame. So it will find a new home. I also went through a big stage of 'more-is-more' - I think something I read in a Rachel Ashwell book, was going for a bit of cluttered-shabby chic with all my different photo frames. But I felt they were detracting from the beautiful piece of timber so they have to find new homes also.





The Ikea Hemnes mirror I have had standing vertically in our bedroom, but if you remember my to-do list I had wanted to mount it above the fireplace. Well it is bloody heavy! So leaning will do, and actually there isn't much room between the picture rail and the top of the mirror, so not too fussed. Ooooh did you see the picture rail??? That never used to be there. There was however a massive crack along the wall, the painters suggested we put a picture rail there instead of trying to patch it and it looks great.

The walls and fireplace used to be a yellow-cream but I chose Antique White USA from Dulux. I am trying to create a more French provincial rather than shabby chic home these days - I am aiming for white with hits of brown. Natural. Funny how your tastes evolve don't they? When I was at uni I collected my floral photo frames - but now that I live with Mr M I find I don't want anything too feminine. 


Has your decorating taste evolved as your life has?






The new mantlepiece arrangement I would say is not finished yet - I would like a vase with some fresh flowers rather than the candelabra. The clock my sister gave to me, my sister who has very modern tastes and thought the clock was horrendous but knew I would love it so bought it anyway. I love it because of that. So now the mantle is white mainly, with the accents of the brown timber and my brown shadowbox {I got that with my mum when I was 15 from The Warehouse for $30! So many people ask me what antique shop I got it from!} Plus some silver for good measure with my Venetian frames. We're big on family photos but I'm thinking I'd like to do them all in black and white to make it look more cohesive? I like to decorate for Christmas with white and silver too so I'm working up to it!


{Images by me }

5 comments:

Tamy said...

realy realy good!!!! i liked!

Fiona said...

When we first moved into our home, our mantle was simply decorated with a vase containing a 1m length of orchid flowers from my MIL's garden. I loved the simplicity. Then it began to collect stuff. Incredibly irritating! Since building the extension, the original lounge/dining room has become the girls' bedroom and playroom. I clear the mantle off, they put stuff on it. What is it about horizontal spaces that attract miscellanea (is that a word?)? And you are so right about tastes changing over time. No more bright yellow walls for us (well, it was the 90s!).

Fiona said...

PS Like what you've done with it, BTW

Emma said...

Oh yes - only a matter of time before it becomes a cluttered mess again. I'm going to try really hard though! I often fantasise about a big farmhouse kitchen with an big square island bench but Mr M says 'you'll just use it to dump keys, papers etc' I think he may be right... :(

 Viv said...

Beautiful Emma! Judging by the size of my mirrors I could tell right away that was a massive mantlepiece. Love the timber and your little decorations. Don't mind me, just reading through your past posts. I'm enjoying your blog :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails