Monday, October 17, 2011

ten things

The lovely Hannah over at Dali Cottage has thrown my name in the ring to find out ten things people might not know about me, so despite really racking my brains for things, here goes... (please forgive me if they are oh so boring, I'm not feeling very creative!)

1. Despite my best efforts at appearing to be the perfect almost-wife - it is Mr M who does the majority of our housework...he stacks the dishwasher to perfection, he does all our washing, he tidies up the kitchen after dinner, he is constantly picking up after me like a three year old, he folds all our clothes, he mops and sorts and scrubs and sweeps. He is the neat freak, I am the cook. It works. He does not, however, do dishes! Anything not in the dishwasher I am on my own.

2. I have really long fingers. And toes. I think they are normal length, Mr M and other friends find them either intriguing or freakish.  

3. Despite actually going to live in our camper for an indefinite amount of time next year, I actually only went on my first camping trip 6 years ago. Mr M took me to Dargo (in the Victorian high country) just with a swag on the back of the ute - no chairs, no cooking utensils, nothing. I think we ate a lot of bad cheap sausages and beer. I was 18 and hated it. Then I realised well if this is going to be a regular thing we better do it properly...and since then have slowly been adding to my 'camping repertoire', resulting in the purchase of our camper and lots of mod-cons to take on the road. Not too much though - keep it simple! 

4. I hate driving. Well long distances anyway. I don't think I have ever driven in a car with Mr M longer than ten minutes - he always drives, regardless of tiredness. This might be his control freak coming out or my laziness. This might have to change on our travels next year...

5. Once upon a time I wanted to be in the airforce. I know. What the hell was I thinking? Watched Top Gun one too many times me thinks...

6. I think I have about 48 first cousins on my mum's side...maybe more, maybe I haven't even met some? Mum is one of 11 children. Irish. Catholic. No TV. Say no more.

7. I'm already being asked when we are having babies and it's making my palms sweaty. Can we just get married first people?! 

8. There is a farm for sale in Thorpdale that I want to buy...when I win tattslotto. Seven or eight mil anyone? 

9. I've lived in eight houses throughout my life. Two growing up (one for only a few months when I was a baby, the other for my entire childhood/adolescence), three over three years at uni in Melbourne (including a dark flat in Richmond, a hundred year old terrace in North Melbourne with a serious rat problem, washing our clothes in the bath and the lounge room wall partially fell on us one night, and a great flat in Kew too close to KFC), then the dreaded bull unit house in Yea (no shower, frostbite on my toes, dirt floor bedroom, fun) then the beautiful cottage at Ythanbrae and now the ramshackle farmhouse at Brindabella. Where to next?!

10. After I had a bad fall off my horse at Ythanbrae (bolted down a cliff, I came off, got dragged, hooves in helmet, terrible concussion and headaches, swelling on brain, multiple cat scans later, stitches, dead tooth and a root canal) I have not been back on a horse. I know - I KNOW! Terrible. Dad always told me to get back on that bloody horse! Easier said than done. 

Now wasn't that entertaining? Probably not! You decide.



4 comments:

Nat @ dear little house said...

It is hard to get back on after a bad fall, but don't you miss it?

Penny's Portraits said...

Count yourself lucky - my husband doesn't do much in the way of household duties...

I always find it interesting learning things about people:) Hope the wedding plans are going well.

Angela said...

Very entertaining! Thank you for sharing Emma :)

Emma said...

@Nat: I sold my horse not long after, as we were moving, so haven't had a horse to ride since. But yes I do not to pull my finger out and get back on! I want Matt to learn to ride so we can go together rather than by myself (also safer as I lay on side of said cliff for awhile...)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails