Friday, October 14, 2011

a quarter

A quarter of a century old I turn today. Just a regular day at Brindabella, maybe some wedding invites to finish, some photos to edit, some muffins to bake, some little people clothes to sew, some dogs to walk...that sort of thing. My nan is coming over for afternoon tea (I'm going to bust out the good china!) My sister is coming for a roast (we're going to bust out the beers!) 

When I was a little girl I had 'a plan' - I would marry at 22, have a baby at 24, I would be an author and then a 'homemaker'. I thought this was terribly sensible...and conservative - 24 was ancient, after all, to be having a baby. If you were 18 you were a grown up. Yes yes, I was quite the radical.

It hasn't panned out exactly that way, but perhaps not far off...although I am not marrying that little boy up the road who used to throw rocks at me (he got married this year too in case you were wondering - ha!) 

Here is my sister and I playing dress-ups circa 1993 - me as a bride. Naturally.


Yes. I was that little girl.

Image probably taken by my mum :)

8 comments:

Sharyn said...

Happy Birthday Emma, hope you have a lovely day...it sounds like you a have a nice one planned, especially having tea with your nanna using vintage china..

amanda said...

Happy Birthday!
sounds like a lovely chilled day planned. enjoy

Nat @ dear little house said...

Hey, Happy Birthday!!

weissbunt said...

Happy Birthday Emma, hope you have/ had ;-) (time difference) a fab day! And may all you wishes come true ;-)

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} said...

Nowwwwww what a cutie ;) happy birthday gorgeous girl x

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Emma. Some of my favourite people were born in October. Especially this year! We are currently awaiting the safe arrival of my grandson, the first grandchild on both sides. I was married at 18, first child at 19 and second child at 22!! (Sound a little bit like your original plans maybe??) Now I can be a young GM as I'm not quite 50 yet. Big plans for that year!...All the best and I hope you had a lovely day...T

Vic said...

I'm a little bit late, but happy birthday!

I didn't want kids at all when I was younger (hell, I wasn't sure I wanted them even when I was pregnant lol). I thought I'd live in the city, drive a zippy car, work in an office & live in an apartment alone; it was as far as I could get in my mind from the tiny dusty town I lived in.... yet here I am, living in a (different) country town, with two kiddos!

Best made plans & all that...

Angela said...

awww, such a cute photo. Happy Birthday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails