Friday, October 21, 2011

on flowers

Last week I travelled down the highway, closer to Melbourne, to visit my florist. Yeah I have a florist. Well, for our wedding anyway. My rad mum has taken up her lifelong goal of doing floristry courses - and I mean some serious floristry, she started with one class and now is totally obsessed and comes home with this amazing creations. It all happens at a little country dairy, converted by the lovely Georgie into her floristry workshop where she holds classes. Georgie doesn't advertise to do weddings anymore, she used to be a big shot florist in the big smoke, but now just prefers to run her classes and do an occasional wedding for friends or through word of mouth. Here is a wedding she did recently featured on Style Me Pretty (and psssst she's doing Giann Rooney's wedding at the beautiful Euroa Butter Factory around the same time as our wedding!)

There was no question in who would 'do my florals' for our wedding - Georgie was totally my go-to woman. She lives in this cute federation cottage with daisy bushes and red brick paths, has two adorable fluffy Border Collies and surrounds herself in flowers, beautiful flowers, all day. And her workshop blew my mind, I wish I had taken my camera but I was super silly and didn't. Fail! But it is a barn conversion type configuration, she has gutted the old stone building other than the original beams which have been polished and rubbed. There's a giant big worktable where students sit around and make their arrangements, when I was there it was laden with Christmas goodies like lush green wreaths, glittered cherries and pears and branches of holly. It's gorgeous - nirvana for the diehard cottage country style like myself.

I digress...Georgie and I talked all things flowers. I'm not going to divulge too much (I am still working on that balancing act of sharing our wedding planning journey on my blog and revealing too much to actual guests!) But here is a snippet of what we brainstormed...


It's probably no surprises...but I'll let you know there are some examples in there that I actually don't like at all and have just thrown in there to throw you all off the scent ;) Yeah, I'm crazy like that. Others are exactly what I asked Georgie to replicate.

Can you guess which ones are which?


Basically, I wasn't all bridezilla on poor Georgie - I totally trust her, she gets me and what our vision is for our wedding. We've left a lot of room for movement and I have given Georgie fairly free reign to create what she thinks works. That was a big step for control freak bride!

I think I enjoyed the flower selecting and brainstorming ideas as much as the stationery...almost.

Image boards made by Emma Durkin for Cinderella at Brindabella from my pins

3 comments:

Jane S said...

All so pretty Emma! Happy Friday!

White Verandah said...

gorgeous!!! I think I know after such a short amount of time commenting back and forth in blog land that we have similar style.. I am on to you - I know your favorites!! No scent throwing here - cant wait to see if I am right! Some of them look very similar to my bouquet...

Jenni @ Jarfly said...

You have a pretty blog! I own a mini-vintage rental business so I really enjoy the rustic look...I'll keep stopping by :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails