Saturday, August 15, 2009

{ It isn't much, but it's home }

After I posted about the new paint job the cottage is getting, I realised I've never posted photos of the cottage!
So, this is the cottage at Ythanbrae.

The little history I know about the cottage: It was moved to Ythanbrae from another property in Murrindindi in the late 1960's and has been perched on the hill here ever since. I'm not sure of exactly when it was built? Don and Jenny Lawson bought Ythanbrae in the mid-60's with no house on the property, they lived in a caravan until the cottage arrived. Originally Ythanbrae, along with neighbouring properties Miss Youngs, Glendaloch and Murrindindi Station, were all a part of Glenmore Station. The cottage seems tiny now, but originally it was half the size apparently - and Don and Jenny raised three kids in here!

{View of the dam from the deck }

Nowadays, we overlook a little dam with a little island in it. The dam is purely ornamental other than the new fire fighting pump Matt installed after last summers devastating fires in the area. Sometimes we get wallabies down by the dam, although unfortunately the dogs seem to scare them off. One lonely little echidna seems to live down there as well that we see wandering across the front paddock, but mostly a whole lot of ducks with little rows of ducklings behind them live on the dam.

At the moment the cottage is blue - but it's getting painted soon! Very exciting! The deck out the front is the best feature - especially for Aussie entertaining and Matt cooking up a storm in summer on the BBQ. We have a spa in the deck that we really need to use more, and French doors open out onto the deck from the living area and our master bedroom.
{ View from the driveway of the cottage on the right and the cattle yards/hay shed on the left }

That's all for now! Oh and in case you are wondering - Ythanbrae is pronounced EYE-than-brae, not YATH-an-brae, we get that a lot...

5 comments:

Vanya Wilkinson said...

what wonderful view you have, how calming to wake up to that; as I type this the traffic and sirens on the high street where I live are terrorizing me!

Emma said...

Yes it is lovely - I need to hear it from people like you though to make me appreciate it! I have spent today working on my computer out on the deck in the sunshine with a cup of tea and my puppy Tessa.

Beach Tropic said...

Hello Emma, how can I subscribe to your blog.
Di
beachtropic@hotmail.com

Nosovich said...

Wow, this is an amazing spot you have, and lovely house as well. It will look beautiful painted all white. It must be so tranquil. We're 4km from Brisbane City and sandwiched between two schools so I can't say the same about where we live!!

Emma said...

Why thank-you, it is quite tranquil, especially after the recent rain with the gullies flowing into the dam and lots of ducks and birdlife and wallabies and echidnas...menagerie! That said, country living isn't for everyone, some like their conveniences which I totally understand.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails